This post is also available in: esEspañol

Increase in new job positions within the blockchain industry are up 300% over a one-year period, with more than 1,700 open positions in August 2018, a study by recruiting site Glassdoor published on October 18, 2018, found.

Blockchain and Crypto Industries See Growing Demand for Talent

Cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology have seen a significant increase in popularity since 2017, evolving from a niche technological curiosity into an explosive financial market worth hundreds of billions of dollars. As more employers become interested and invest in the technology, the need for blockchain and cryptocurrency experts has also increased.

A study from Glassdoor, one of the largest recruiting websites in the U.S., found that as of August 2018, there were 1,775 unique blockchain-related job openings in the United States alone. In comparison, at the same time, last year saw only 446 similar job listings, which represents a 300 percent year-over-year increase.

The Glassdoor analysis was based on a large sample of online job postings in the U.S. that were related to blockchain development or were posted by blockchain-based companies. The report also gathered data from job openings that specifically mention the terms “cryptocurrency” and “Bitcoin.”

A Wide Variety of Jobs Concentrated in a Few Cities

(Source: Glassdoor)

Even though the majority of the job openings in the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry are software based and require cyber development skills or computer science degrees, Glassdoor also found that the need for non-tech-related roles is growing as well.

While 55 percent of job openings were for engineering, technology, and science roles, the study also noted the need for analyst relations managers, product managers, and risk analysts. There is also a significant amount of open positions for marketing and community managers.

The highest percentage of online listings were for jobs concentrated in 15 cities, including New York City and San Francisco, which make up 24 and 21 percent of total job openings, respectively. The top 15 cities together make up 79 percent of blockchain-related job ads in the U.S., while the remaining 21 percent are more or less equally distributed across the rest of the country.

The report also found that the top three major job providers in the blockchain and cryptocurrency space are ConsenSys, who has 214 openings, IBM, who also has 214 openings, and Coinbase, with 63 job openings. Oracle, Kraken, Circle, KPMG, and JPMorgan are listed as some of the other large job providers in the industry.

The amount of cryptocurrency-related job openings shows that companies are growing at exponential rates, which signals a maturing market, Glassdoor concluded. Both the job openings and salary statistics point to a bright future for the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry, the report said.